Thursday 17 November 2016

THE HAIR WE WEAR BY LORI

THE HAIR WE WEAR BY LORI

NOVEMBER 14, 2016

As published on Jon Renau

THIS MONTH WE ASKED LORI - OUR END WEARER WHO'S BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH ALOPECIA UNIVERSALIS - TO SHARE HER STORY WITH US.

 jon-renau-collection


How long have you been wearing wigs or hairpieces?


In the beginning of June 2014 I started noticing more than normal hair loss when I would brush my hair or run my fingers through it.  By the end of the first week, my hair was falling out by the handfuls.  Within a month I lost all my hair on my entire body, which was just before I turned 50 years old.

As you can imagine the loss was frightening and traumatic.  At first I was frightened, as I thought I had a horrible disease.  I didn’t dare say the “c” word.  When I went to my first doctor’s visit, I was diagnosed with Alopecia Universalis.  The doctor had never seen a case like me, such rapid loss in such a short amount of time.  She had only read about Alopecia Universalis in medical books.

I was very conflicted.  So thankful my diagnosis wasn't life threatening.  Yet with every handful that fell out, I mourned the loss of me.  Losing my eyebrows and eyelashes was by far the most painful emotionally.  I truly felt like an alien.  I got to the point where I only had a few stragglers on my head, which looked like straw … yellow and dead.  I had my husband shave the last little bit off.  I wanted the loss to stop.  He shaved his head as well.  We celebrated the new Me! Bare, bold and beautiful!

Bare, bold and beautiful was fine around my friends and family, but I wasn’t brave enough to be this way in a male dominated workplace.  I turned to the Internet for help.  I watched many YouTube videos.  I tried on many wigs in different colors, lengths, styles, several name brands, some good, and some not so good.

In January 2016 I found Jon Renau’s Katherine Smartlace wig in 12FS8. I was thrilled… I had finally found a wig that looked like my natural hair.  The color, the style and the way it looked on me.  I felt normal again.

I currently own 5 Jon Renau wigs (Shh, don’t tell my husband) in different colors and styles.  I walk in freedom to be whoever I want to be for that day!

What advice would you give to a new wig wearer?


Watch a lot of videos, try on many styles.  Don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone.  This is your opportunity to look radically different each day, if you so choose.

What do you love about our brand?


They look like real hair at a reasonable price. I have the flexibility to change my color and style daily if I want.

Would you like to share your story? Contact us or find us on Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment